The Roots of Legislation
The first move toward professional legislation occurred in 1952 when Edwin Kay “pointed out the desirability of protection by legislation for Landscape Architects similar to that enjoyed by the allied professions of engineering and architecture. The great drawback to this was the lack of aSchool of Landscape Architecture in Canada… discussions concerning it dragged on for years” (F.B., manuscript).
“In 1954, Mr. Culham was named convenor to formulate proposals for the foundation of local chapters of the Society. In 1959, the question of Chapters was decided: that they should be inMontreal – Ottawa, Central Ontario and the Prairie-Pacific Coast areas” (F.B., manuscript). This was the beginning of the movement to divide the CSLA & TP, as it was still titled, into component sections. The shift to independent provincial organizations did not occur until 1962.
“In 1955, the proposed design for the first member’s certificates was approved as presented… In 1957, Mr. Austin Floyd prepared the Schedule of Professional Charges and the Agreement between Client and Landscape Architect which are used by members of the Society” (F.B., manuscript).
In 1956 the CSLA & TP incorporated by letters patent “for the purposes of promoting the Profession of Landscape Architecture… affiliating those who, by profession or through public service, are engaged in promoting this profession… increasing the efficiency and to foster good fellowship of its members… providing an authoritative source of information concerning the profession in Canada… supporting the advancement of service to the public and the profession”. (CSLA certificate of membership)
“Over the years the Examining Board has played a very important part in the Society. There have been numerous debates about the entrance standards which have been won by those who have insisted that the highest be maintained. Until 1959 new members were admitted in very small numbers each year, but in that year we were lucky in being able to admit a record number and that record has been beaten several times in the 1960’s. In 1962, the entire roster was double that of a decade earlier; in 1967, the roster is double that of 1962” (F.B., manuscript).
The first publication of the Society was twenty-five years in the making. “Mr. Donald Graham, in 1959, presented copies of a trial number of the publication of our Society which was received most favourably and named The CANADIAN LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT” (F.B., manuscript).
“During the 1940’s, 50’s, and 1960’s, the CSLA fees were $12.50 for member(s) at great distance and associates, $25.00 for members in Central Canada. In 1961, the fees were raised to $25.00 for associates and $40.00 for members. The fees were raised again in 1966 to $30.00 for associates and $50.00 for members” (F.B., manuscript).
The constitution of the Society was changed in 1961 and the reference to “Town Planners” was dropped from the title.
In 1963 the first code of ethics was compiled by the members.