- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Hamilton, ON
- Company Name:
- Hamilton Conservation Authority
- Job Details:
The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has a Full Time opportunity for a Projects Designer
The position has a variety of design, drafting, surveying, tendering and field inspection functions for a wide range of conservation area facilities & infrastructure such as buildings, fences, roads, parking lots, pedestrian bridges, and utility services. This position is a key role in the Capital Projects & Strategic Services division and reports to the Director of the department, while providing support for the Design Projects Coordinator as required. This position also works closely with the Construction Projects Manager of the division.
Job Functions & Tasks:
- Undertake design of HCA facilities, infrastructure and services, including new capital works projects and improvements to existing facilities.
- Produce construction drawings and site plans for projects using various CAD programs.
- Survey areas proposed for construction and develop cross-sections and grading plans.
- Develop project specifications and tender documents.
- Develop project estimate and schedules.
- Assist in obtaining all required permits for construction projects.
- Assist with supervision of seasonal support staff.
- Inspect and give direction as required for construction projects underway within Conservation Areas to ensure compliance with design and applicable codes.
- Layout areas in field for construction purposes.
- Assist in construction contract administration.
- Maintain excellent and complete technical files.
- Assist in preparation of reports to various boards of HCA as well as external agencies.
- On occasion, work outside in adverse weather conditions.
- Have the ability to lift 25 lbs. and walk for extended periods of time.
- Carry out any other duties and tasks as assigned to support the team effort at HCA.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
- As a minimum, a College diploma in Civil Engineering, Land Surveying, Architectural Technology, or similar field is required. Membership with OACETT, PEO or AOLS with an appropriate designation will be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and practical experience in civil & architectural design & construction, building codes and regulations, and surveying is essential.
- CAD drafting skills are required, as well as a working knowledge of typical drafting standards and detailed design. Experience with MicroStation 2D & 3D is highly preferable.
- Knowledge of GIS systems and experience with GPS surveying techniques is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Knowledge of environmental and planning legislation as it relates to construction is an asset.
- Must be comfortable working independently and capable of effectively managing their own time.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary as well as computer skills using Microsoft Office.
- A valid Ontario class ‘G’ driver’s license and your own reliable vehicle are required. (Mileage will be paid for vehicle use during working hours)
Position is located at the main Authority office “Woodend” (Workshop), 838 Mineral Springs Road, Ancaster. Hours of work generally fall between 8am – 5:00 pm, with a half-hour unpaid lunch based on a 37.5-hour workweek at 7.5 hours per day, Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours may be required occasionally.
This is a full time position with an annual salary starting at $57,892.78, based on experience. Progression will be based on merit and is considered on an annual basis. Yearly cost-of-living adjustments may also be considered.
HCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision care, health care spending account, life and disability insurance after the 3-month probation period and a defined contribution pension plan after 1 year of service.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send resume and covering letter by 5pm Friday February 1, 2019 to:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
P.O. Box 81067
838 Mineral Springs Road
Ancaster, Ontario, L9G 4X1
Attention: Director of Human Resources
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please quote “Projects Designer” in subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.