Project Manager, Design
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Toronto, ON
- Company Name:
- Waterfront Toronto
- Job Details:
Waterfront Toronto was established by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto in 2001 to oversee and lead the renewal of the city’s waterfront. Our mandate is to deliver a revitalized waterfront that brings together the most innovative approaches to sustainable urban development, excellence in urban design, real estate development, and leading technology infrastructure. Working with the community, and with public and private-sector partners, Waterfront Toronto creates complete neighborhoods anchored by parks and public spaces, and diverse, sustainable, mixed-use communities that offer a high quality of life for residents, employees, and visitors alike. We are transforming the waterfront for the use and enjoyment of the people of Toronto, Ontario and Canada, to foster economic growth and to redefine how the city, province and country are perceived by the world. Waterfront Toronto is currently commencing work on the $1.25 billion Port Lands Flood Protection Project, the largest civil works project in North America, and the visionary Sidewalk Toronto partnership for our Quayside property, with Sidewalk Labs LLC, a sister company of Google. See more information on our website www.waterfrontoronto.ca.
The Opportunity: Project Manager, Design
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day oversight of the design of a portfolio of parks and public realm projects delivered by Waterfront Toronto to ensure design and construction meet Waterfront Toronto’s objectives for Design Excellence, Quality of Place, and the Corporation’s Sustainability Framework. Projects may include exciting initiatives like: Aitken Place Park, York Street Park or Rees Street Park.
- Manages major design initiatives to deliver comprehensive and high-quality designs from concept through construction documents for implementation.
- Directs, oversees, and advises design consultants in the delivery of their assigned work.
- Administering contracts and agreements with design consultants, project vendors and suppliers.
- Overseeing the production of all project deliverables, including design drawings, construction documents, compliance with applicable standards and regulations and environmental approvals for assigned consultants.
- Reviewing all planning and design documents and providing day-to-day management in securing all necessary approvals from regulatory authorities such as Toronto City Council, the Ministry of the Environment, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency and others.
- Preparing project meeting minutes and action items lists, monitoring and following-up with all staff and consultants to ensure that tasks are completed by deadlines.
- Collaborating with the Vice President, Design and the Senior Project Manager, Parks to establish the creative direction for all projects and identifying critical issues needing senior management decisions and input.
- Monitoring project schedules and expenditures to ensure they are completed within specified timeframes and on budget and in conformance with government funding requirements.
- Drafting content for Requests for Proposals for the retention of external consultants, reviewing submissions and participating in procurement decisions, monitoring contract compliance and approving invoices for payment.
- Developing and/or assisting with the development of consultation and communication strategies that promote open, transparent discussions/communications between TWRC and stakeholders and other business partners.
- Establishing and maintaining effective business relationships with stakeholders, government agencies and the public to foster positive partnerships and build consensus for proposed projects and/or to resolve critical issues.
- Anticipating community/business/public reactions, developing options/recommendations/ solutions and working proactively and collaboratively with internal/external stakeholders to address them.
- Managing necessary studies including environmental assessment, air quality testing, transportation design, accessibility, environmental site assessment, way finding and/or sustainability.
- Providing strategic advisory, consultation and analytical services on a broad range of issues to the Vice President, Design and other senior managers within the Corporation.
- Developing design and construction solutions and applying critical thinking in problem-solving.
- Developing and managing projects within a fixed budget – including reviewing and approving invoices.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Organizational, coordination and project management expertise.
- Design and construction administration experience and skills.
- A post-secondary degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Civil Engineering.
- A minimum of five years professional experience (preferred).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- A proven ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a diversity of stakeholders will be vital in achieving the goals and objectives.
Salary: We offer a competitive salary and benefit package.
How to apply:
Candidates should email their resume and cover letter, together in one (1) PDF document to: email@example.com quoting File #18-26, no later than December 17, 2018.
Waterfront Toronto is committed to representing the diversity of the City of Toronto on our team by fostering a positive and progressive workforce. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. We are also committed to providing accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please let us know so that, subject to measures constituting undue hardship, the appropriate accommodations can be in place throughout the selection process.
No telephone inquiries please. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.