- Job Type:
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Guelph, ON
- Company Name:
- City of Guelph
- Job Details:
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Park Planner within the Parks and Recreation department. Reporting to the Manager, Open Space Planning, this position will assist with leading the planning, development and redevelopment of Guelph’s parks and open space system, with a focus on creating and delivering quality community spaces and public service including continuous improvement of processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Responsible for the planning, design, development and redevelopment of parklands including:
- Work with staff of the Public Services area and consult with the community and stakeholders in the renovation, restoration or creation of park and open space.
- Review development applications and planning documents, including draft plans of subdivision and their registrations, secondary and community plans, official plan, site plans and zoning by-law amendments, Committee of Adjustment and provide comments related to parks, trails, open space and facility-related requirements, including parkland dedication.
- Act as expert witness at Ontario Municipal Board and other tribunals, as required.
- Project manages and/or prepare design concepts, master plans, detailed design, presentation drawings, construction drawings, standards and cost-estimates for department capital projects.
- Project manages and prepare budgets, reports, including staff reports to council, RFP’s, hiring and supervision of consultants, tendering documents, and evaluation and award of tenders for department capital projects. Ensure conformance with standards, policies and legislation.
- Project management of park, trails and open space development projects, including site meetings, site visits/ inspections to ensure compliance with specifications, approved plans and regulations, including cost control and progress payments.
- Coordinate and report on park development and redevelopment; track projects and capital budgets, act as liaison for contract safety legislation, policy and best practices
- Coordinate and report on trails and open spaces projects and initiatives; track projects and trail budgets, ensure work is aligned to department vision documents and act as liaison for policies that impact trail and open spaces
- Track ongoing development files, coordinate workflow and timelines for various development applications including parkland dedication coordination and tracking