Assistant Design Coordinator
- Job Type:
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Toronto, ON
- Company Name:
- Toronto District School Board
- Job Details:
Assistant Design Coordinator, Architectural & Civil
Are you a Landscape Architect or Civil Engineer with site design expertise, or a similarly experienced Architect or Architectural Technologist? This term position – anticipated to end on June 30, 2018 – is a great opportunity to apply your talents with the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) in Toronto, ON.
Reporting to the Design Service Administrator, and as part of the Landscape team, you will assist Coordinator(s) in the design, coordination and production of technical documentation for construction of maintenance, renewal and other building projects. An effective communicator, you will liaise with various public organizations or agencies concerning schools, and act as a resource to schools and other Board facilities.
As an Assistant Design Coordinator, Architectural & Civil, you will:
- Prepare sketch plans for discussion with the stakeholders;
- Coordinate designs with the other major disciplines (e.g. Architectural, Mechanical and Electrical);
- Coordinate designs of outside consultants and meet on a regular basis to ensure their design development is on budget and on time;
- Be responsible for detailed investigation, analysis of requirements, provision of detailed engineering, design principles and techniques, as required;
- Meet with stakeholders to review the program, address their needs and provide professional advice;
- Ensure that design development will meet approved budgets and schedules;
- Conduct regular reviews with consultants;
- Meet with construction supervisors to review and resolve design problems;
- Review in-house production documentation to ensure the design intent has been maintained;
- Coordinate design documentation for site plan approval with consultants, as necessary;
- Correspond or meet with authorities having jurisdiction regarding Building Code and other requirements;
- Prepare preliminary draft reports for review;
- Provide leadership in fostering equity and inclusiveness in the development and implementation of programs and services; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
To take on the role of Assistant Design Coordinator, Architectural & Civil, you must have:
- A university degree in Landscape Architecture or Civil Engineering with site design specialty, with five (5) years of progressively responsible related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Membership in Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (full membership); or Ontario Association of Architects; or Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario; or Association of Architectural Technologists of Ontario;
- Experience monitoring and coordinating the work of outside consultants;
- Ability to design organized spaces to meet program needs;
- Ability to coordinate the work of other disciplines (e.g. Architectural, Mechanical and Electrical);
- Familiarity with the Ontario Building Code and working knowledge of City of Toronto standards, government regulations, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and building and safety codes;
- Understanding of building components and construction;
- Proficient computer skills, including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, presentation packages and email;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with staff, stakeholders, outside contractors, suppliers, etc.;
- Proven ability in promoting equitable practices which value inclusiveness and diversity; and
- Strong time management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
Salary range: $78,747 – $94,485 per year
This term position, located at the Oakburn Centre, 15 Oakburn Crescent (not wheelchair accessible), involves regular travel to TDSB sites, and requires access to a reliable vehicle for Board business. You will be required to wear safety equipment (e.g. safety shoes, hard hats) when visiting construction sites.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, by 12:00 noon, April 14, 2017, quoting competition #SCH II-16-0373NTE in the subject line, to:
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and adhere to fair employment practices.