SvN Architects + Planners is looking for a Junior Landscape Architect to join our award-winning team. Some of our most significant contributions to the fabric of the GTHA include the Reconfiguration of the Six Points Interchange, Shoppers World Brampton Master Plan, Eglinton Connects Planning + Urban Design Study, Neighbourhoods Character Design Guidelines for the City of Toronto, 162 Cumberland Avenue, and the Dundas Connects Land Use and Transportation Master Plan for the City of Mississauga and the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Urban Design Guidelines.
The role of the Junior Landscape Architect is to work with our interdisciplinary team of planners, urban designers, landscape architects and architects on behalf of both public and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing support on diverse projects ranging in scale and context, from integrated site design to corridor + neighbourhood development to city-wide design + strategy. Fresh and forward-thinking approaches to nature-inclusive design in an urban context are encouraged.
- University Degree in Landscape Architecture;
- 1-2 years of landscape architecture experience;
- Exceptional communication, organization and interpersonal skills;
- Solid technical understanding of/experience with landscape and public realm design, including:
- Green standards and sustainable design practices;
- Streetscape design and coordination between landscape and utilities;
- Integration with land use and the built environment;
- Transit integration and design;
- Parks and open space design concepts and detailed development;
- Application in city-wide scale contexts.
- Proficiency in graphic tools including AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino and Revit. Experience with MicroStation an asset;
- Working towards OALA or equivalent.
- Develop graphics and text that showcase design excellence, clear design thinking, and strong landscape-urban design concepts;
- Conduct research and preliminary site review including an understanding of landscape requirements and design solution opportunities; familiarity with the Toronto Green Standard, Complete Street Guidelines, Low Impact Development strategies, etc. an asset;
- Contribute to the continued growth of the landscape practice at SvN, and assist in developing graphic standards and resources;
- Develop conceptual and/or framework diagrams, plans, sections, elevations, perspectives (by hand and/or digitally) in a highly graphic capacity;
- Imbue technical understanding of landscape elements and applicable standards and best practices into the development of work.
Why Choose SvN?
SvN is one of Canada’s premier integrated planning and design firms with a multidisciplinary team of architects, planners, urban designers and landscape architects engaged with the dynamic social, economic and environmental forces that define and govern where we live and work.
As an integrated full-service firm, we guide public- and private-sector projects from conception to implementation. We are unique in providing design-intensive services that resolve complex issues such as land-use regulations, regional infrastructure requirements, or community development. SvN engages in applied research and advocacy in post-carbon design, social justice, housing and biodiversity.
Since our original inception over 40 years ago, we continue to shape the built environment in regions, cities, and towns across Canada and worldwide. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver and in Mexico City (known as SvNMX), we’ve revitalized industrial waterfronts, developed many new forms of affordable housing, designed resilient neighbourhoods, and promoted rural and urban economic development.
What we have to offer you:
SvN offers a competitive salary and full health and dental benefits, including a Health Spending Account, a generous Professional Development Allowance, as well as a Group Retirement Savings Plan with a matching component.
Now for the fun part! SvN holds many social events throughout the year. From community-building retreats to ski days to park meet-ups and summer/holiday parties. We also hold weekly forums and design workshops for all staff to learn, socialize and get involved. In addition to much-deserved vacation time, we offer flex time, a generous amount of sick time and personal days, and extended weekends in the summer months. If that wasn’t enough, our studio closes during the holidays in December so that you can spend quality time with your family and friends!
Post COVID-19 Protocols:
During the Covid-19 pandemic, our studio transitioned to a virtual work environment. While many are now back working in the studio, SvN continues to embrace the new hybrid work environment and the flexibility it provides. For those working in the studio, SvN has implemented Robin, a web- and mobile app-based hybrid workplace platform that offers a seamless employee experience in finding the desk or meeting space they need while avoiding conflicts.
How Do I Apply?
Candidates may apply through our Bamboo HR platform. The link can be found here
Please attach or send a link for a portfolio of your work. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to present your portfolio.
As an employer committed to employment equity, SvN encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. We encourage members of equity-seeking groups to self-identify within the cover letter in their application.