Design Experts Sought for City of Hamilton’s Design Review Panel
- Submission Type:
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Submission Details:
Opportunity to contribute to community planning, urban design & development
HAMILTON, ON – The City of Hamilton is seeking design professionals to serve as volunteer members of the Design Review Panel (DRP). The Panel provides expert and impartial design advice and guidance to City Planning staff on urban design matters.
DRP began as a pilot program in 2014 and was recently approved by Hamilton City Council on March 8th as a permanent component of the development application process.
“Hamilton continues to experience significant revitalization across the City. As our built environment evolves, we want to ensure high quality design and we look to our DRP as an essential aspect of the development process.”
Jason Thorne, General Manager, Planning and Economic Development
The DRP is a nine-member Panel represented by professionals from a variety of disciplines, including urban designers, architects (including landscape), planners, heritage professionals and green technologies specialists. While they do not have the authority to approve or refuse projects, or make policy decisions, DRP members provide guidance to Planning staff on matters such as:
- Potential physical and aesthetic impacts of proposed buildings, landscapes, streetscapes, parks, and infrastructure projects
- Supporting creative design responses in new development
- Fostering an effective relationship with the development industry
- Improving the quality of design
- Increasing public awareness about design in Hamilton
DRP members will serve on a voluntary basis for a four (4) year term. The DRP will meet once per month during regular business hours. Potential candidates must have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience and must be registered members in good standing in their respective professional associations. Applicants must also have experience in:
- Municipal planning related to Zoning Bylaw Amendment and Site Plan applications;
- Large scale urban revitalization projects;
- Peer review;
- High quality design and sustainable development; and,
- Communicating effectively and impartially within a multidisciplinary panel.
HOW & WHEN TO APPLY
Interested candidates need to submit their CV, a cover letter summarizing their qualifications and experience, and a brief explanation as to why they are interested in Hamilton’s Design Review Panel, by Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
Submissions should be sent via email or mail to:
Manager of Development Planning, Heritage and Design
Attn: Anita Fabac
71 Main Street West, 5th Floor
Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5
For more details including qualifications and experience, Design Priority Areas, Mandate & Details please visit https://www.hamilton.ca/develop-property/policies-guidelines/design-review-panel