Urban Designer I – Landscape Design
- Job Type:
- Full Time
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Whitby, ON
- Company Name:
- Town of Whitby
- Company Information:
- Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with two marinas, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, beaches and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day. With a population projected to grow to 200,000 people within the next 15 years, Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future.
- Job Details:
Reporting to the Manager of Development Control, Design and Technical Services, and under the direction of the Principal Planner (Development), the Urban Designer I (Landscape Design) will be responsible for:
- assisting the Landscape Architect in the review of streetscape and landscape plans for plans of subdivision and site plans and advance suggested amendments to the Landscape Architect and Planner on file for review and direction so as to meet the conditions of plan approval and the Town’s landscape guidelines;
- implementation and completion of landscape works as required by subdivision or development agreements and to ensure they are undertaken in accordance with the approved plans;
- providing assistance in the monitoring, and review of existing policy, in the development of RFP’s and the landscape guidelines as required with research and development of municipal initiatives; and,
- other duties as may be assigned.
As the successful applicant, you possess
- an undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning and Design, Architecture or related field;
- a minimum of one (1) year related experience, preferably in a municipal planning environment;
- intermediate level proficient using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Adobe Creative Suite, and AutoCAD;
- the ability to analyse and interpret statistical data;
- strong administrative skills with the ability to effectively organize and prioritize projects and work;
- strong research, reasoning and problem solving skills;
- a working knowledge of the relevant Provincial Planning Policies and Legislation, Official Plan Policy, Accessibility Standards, Landscape Guidelines, CLOCA regulation, and municipal zoning by-laws;
- well-developed interpersonal and public relations skills in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public;
- the ability to communicate both verbally and in written form, in a clear, concise, effective and courteous manner;
- the ability to work well in a team environment, as well as independently; and,
- a valid unrestricted Driver’s Licence (minimum Class “G”) maintained in good standing with access to a personal vehicle.
Salary: $45,081 – $56,347 per annum
Hours: Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How to apply:
Application Deadline: Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Application Instructions: To be considered for this challenging opportunity, please fax, mail, e-mail or deliver your confidential application/resume to:
The Corporation of the Town of Whitby – Human Resource Services
575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON L1N 2M8
Fax: 905.430.4340 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote Posting Reference No.: 17-F011-519
The selection process may include assessment methods to further determine a candidate’s knowledge and skills for the position.
The Town of Whitby is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise Human Resource Services of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The Town of Whitby is an equal opportunity employer.