Junior Urban Designer (One Year Contract)
- Job Type:
- Posting Date:
- Deadline Date:
- Toronto, ON
- Company Name:
- Waterfront Toronto
- Company Information:
- Waterfront Toronto was established by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto in 2001 to oversee and lead the renewal of the city’s waterfront. Our mandate is to deliver a revitalized waterfront that brings together the most innovative approaches to sustainable urban development, excellence in urban design, real estate development, and leading technology infrastructure. Working with the community, and with public and private-sector partners, Waterfront Toronto creates complete neighbourhoods anchored by parks and public spaces, and diverse, sustainable, mixed-use communities that offer a high quality of life for residents, employees, and visitors alike. We are transforming the waterfront for the use and enjoyment of the people of Toronto, Ontario and Canada, to foster economic growth and to redefine how the city, province and country are perceived by the world.
- Job Details:
Reporting directly to the Director, Design, the successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking design studies and contributing to the production of high quality drawings and graphics, plans and maps, reports and other deliverables to support the planning and design functions at Waterfront Toronto
- Undertake Planning and Design Studies which may include:
- Preparing design drawings, using CAD, including layout site plans and maps, grading studies and schematic illustrations;
- Undertaking conceptual planning studies, diagrams, scale studies, design vignettes, sun/shadow assessments and building massing studies;
- Preparing presentation and marketing drawings and materials;
- Support and coordinate the development of the Central Waterfront Public Realm Plan which should include:
- Review and compile all existing background materials for projects either completed or planned in the central waterfront area
- Work with WT planning and design staff to develop key urban design themes/guidelines/strategies for the Central Waterfront based on the background materials
- Develop graphic plans to convey themes/strategies and guidelines
- Develop illustrative graphics/details to convey specific important components
- Prepare a consolidated report based on the above table of contents which can be reviewed by key stakeholders and City Staff
- Attend meetings with key stakeholders and coordinate responding to feedback received
- Aid WT and City Staff in obtaining Council approval for the Central Waterfront Public Realm Plan.
- Support the on-going development of waterfront-wide consolidated digital mapping initiative which includes:
- Maintain and monitor the consolidated digital base for all projects including completed and planned on an as-necessary basis
- Maintain 3d modelling, plans, sections, presentations, graphic materials
- Develop graphic representations conveying concepts for various audience and themes
- Maintain and update waterfront-wide development data matrix and associated background materials
Knowledge and qualifications:
- Graduate of a program in Urban Design and/or Architecture or Landscape Architecture with 2-3 years’ work experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suites – Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint to prepare illustrative graphic, planning reports and presentations
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUP and Rhino to prepare digital base and other design studies
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project scheduling software
- Understanding of Waterfront Toronto’s planning and design projects including public realm, buildings and communities.
- Strong and innovative graphic skills and design sensibility
- Knowledge of green building standards and LEED.
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills and ability to develop timely solutions
- Organizational, presentation, analytical, coordination and critical thinking skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Salary: We offer a competitive salary package.
Please email your resume, a brief cover letter along with 5 work samples that represent your graphic and planning/design skills by, quoting File #4-17 to: Human Resources, Waterfront Toronto at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Waterfront Toronto provides accessibility accommodations upon request for candidates with disabilities. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, contact us to discuss your needs.
For more information visit our website at: www.waterfrontoronto.ca